The Janesville Kiwanis Club was chartered in 1921 by a small group of local businessmen to estalish a local service organization. At the time of the Janesville charter, there were only 875 Clubs in North America with a total of 75,000 members. Presently, we are one of 7,700 clubs in 80 countries.
Important Projects in our Club's History
- Development of The Kiwanis Alcove - a suite of pediatric rooms at Mercy Hospital built and furnished by our Club. The Club also helped fund various medical equipment in the children's wing, inlcuidng respirators, oxygen machines, wheelchairs, etc. (1920s - 1950s)
- Funded the replacement of over 600 trees lost to Dutch Elm disease (1965)
- Funded the purchase of a pediatric x-ray unit (1970s)
- Construction of Kiwnais Trail from the Tallman Restoration property to Riverside Park (1974)
- Helped fund the gymnasium and radio equipment for new Salvation Army quarters
- Construction and clearing of the Kiwanis Bike Trail
- Numerous improvements at Kiwnis Pond including a boat landing, picnic shelter, and a handicapped accessible fishing pier (re-constructed in 2011)
- Kiwnais Park - a 10 acre park at Holiday and Pontiac with playground equipment and covered picnic areas (1991) Playground equipment scheduled for replacement in 2017.
Our original Charter Document from 1921!